Wednesday 25 September 2013

Every County in the British Isles

Last Monday (The 16th September 2013) I went to the Night of Adventure at the Vue Cinema in Leicester Square.  An entertaining and inspiring evening, watching a selection of interesting, vibrant and well travelled people giving presentations on a range of adventures or initiatives.  I won't try to explain in too much detail, have a look here: https://www.facebook.com/NightOfAdventure or here http://www.hopeandhomes.org/get-involved/fundraising-and-events and try and go along to one if you can.

Anyway in the interval, as I was too reticent to spark up conversation with too many other punters (and by the way I was quite surprised by the youth and good looks of the crowd, and the relatively equal gender split, for some reason I was expecting a range of guys my age and older in karrimore jackets geeking out on adventure kit) so I idly tweeted an idea that came to me on the idea of adventures in one of the earlier presentations.




Having recently returned from a cross continental bike trip, albeit a relatively comfortable one, I am determined to actually start this career in planning, or place-making, or urbanism, or whatever I can work my way into along the lines of the reason I returned from NZ and went to get that degree.  So I figured a way to have adventures, and get to see more of my home nation was that as outlined above.

After a simple google search I found this website: 

http://www.rahbarnes.demon.co.uk/Counties/list.htm


There are a few lists on there, I decided to pick the first one, as it didn't seem so comprehensive.  So I'll leave this hanging here now, and come back and update when I have some sort of evidence of having visited that county.  Lets see if by this time next year I've Done 'em all?

Aberdeenshire
Anglesey
Angus (Forfarshire)
Antrim
Argyll (Argyllshire)
Armagh
Ayrshire
Banffshire
Bedfordshire
Berkshire
Berwickshire
Brecknockshire (Breconshire)
Buckinghamshire  -  Done 21/09/2013 - passed through on way to Oxford, but will be back there a bit I'm sure.

Buteshire
Caernarfonshire (Carnarvonshire)
Caithness
Cambridgeshire
Cardiganshire
Carmarthenshire
Cheshire
Clackmannanshire
Cornwall
Cromartyshire
Cumberland
Denbighshire
Derbyshire
Devon
Dorset
Down
Dumbartonshire
Dumfriesshire
Durham
East Lothian
Essex
Fermanagh
Fife
Flintshire
Glamorgan
Gloucestershire
Hampshire - 30/11/2013 - Back to the county of my birth and formative years.
Fields of Hampshire
Herefordshire
Hertfordshire
Huntingdonshire
Inverness-shire
Kent - 12/10/2013 
Whitstable
Kincardineshire
Kinross-shire
Kirkcudbrightshire
Lanarkshire
Lancashire - 27/10/2013
Welcome to Manchester
Leicestershire
Lincolnshire
Londonderry
Merionethshire
Middlesex
Midlothian
Monmouthshire
Montgomeryshire
Morayshire
Nairnshire
Norfolk
Northamptonshire
Northumberland
Nottinghamshire
Orkney
Oxfordshire  -  done 21st September 2013 - Working at Virgin Do














Peeblesshire
Pembrokeshire
Perthshire
Radnorshire
Renfrewshire
Ross-shire
Roxburghshire
Rutland
Selkirkshire
Shetland
Shropshire
Somerset
Staffordshire
Stirlingshire
Suffolk
Surrey  29/09/2013 

Sussex -  26/09/2013 Brighton.  Easy
Sutherland
Tyrone
Warwickshire
West Lothian (Linlithgowshire)
Westmorland
Wigtownshire
Wiltshire
Worcestershire
Yorkshire 26/10/2013
York

Oh yeah, and the British Isles includes Ireland:

Antrim
Armagh
Carlow
Cavan
Clare
Cork
Derry
Donegal
Down
Dublin
Fermanagh
Galway
Kerry
Kildare
Kilkenny
Laois
Leitrim
Limerick
Longford
Louth
Mayo
Meath
Monaghan
Offaly
Roscommon
Sligo
Tipperary
Tyrone
Waterford
Westmeath
Wexford
Wicklow 



There aren't any rules, just try and visit, or pass through.  And try and fit it in with everything else.  And no castigation if I don't complete it, just a bit of an achievement if I do.  It looks like a big list from here, but if I keep it in mind there's at least a chance I'll see a few places I've not seen before.

No comments:

Post a Comment