Wednesday 12 June 2013

Ben Hockman's Day Off



I've got 30 hours in Chicago.  Two slow punctures.  An architecture tour booked.  It's sunny and I'm wearing shades... Hit it! - so I'm conflating my Chicago based movie references, whaddayougonnadoaboutit?  huh?

Chicago
Chicago

Ferris Buller's Day off has been one of my favourite films since I first saw it in the late 80's.  I often refer to fun days out in the city as Ferris Buller days, getting around trying to pack as much fun in as possible, making the most of all a city has to offer.

Bikes and Roads in Chicago
Chicago

So bring on another another packed day in my favourite mid-western city.  A leisurely breakfast to start before heading up town in a cab with Bob to the start of the Architectural boat tour.  Research team never off duty we had a chat with the cabbie who sees bike lanes as a total waste of time and of no use to anyone - no one rides a bike so why should they take away another lane of traffic?  Good to finally find someone  with a counter view to all our cycle friendly friends.

Bikes and Roads in Chicago
Bikes and Roads in Chicago

Though I wanted to do as much as I could in Chicago, I was prepared for a late start and the disadvantage of not having a Ferrari to get me around.  So I decided on 3 Bulleresque activities to make the most of the day, which were:

  1. Architectural canal tour
  2. Go to the top of the Sears tower
  3. Visit the Art museum
Chicago
Chicago

Therefore with this approach I could achieve my goals.  The canal tour was already booked.  Our guide (Vern I think?) was wonderful. Unless he was just making up all the names and dates his knowledge was encyclopaedic  I may not be able to remember many of the details of particular buildings and the architects responsible, but it was possible to get an understanding of the development of Chicago and how the city has been shaped in it's short history.  One of the key figures was Aaron Montgomery Ward.  Making his money through entrepreneurship and the foresight to set up mail order catalogue shopping, he went on to put lots of his own time and energy into preserving Grant Park and the lake front.  These features of the city, and the uninterrupted park land along the lake are very striking features for a city that was the heart of commercial and industrial activity for much of America in the years of rapid expansion throughout the late nineteenth and twentieth centuries.



Anywhoo, there's plenty of places you can read about the history of Chicago if so inclined, but it's always good to put where we are now in context.  Especially after talking with residents and city officials who are focussed on where the city is going.  But sufficed to say I got plenty of pictures.

Chicago
Chicago

We disembarked around 1.30 and I strolled over towards the Sears Tower, OK I know it's called the Willis Tower, but this is my Buller Day, so referring to it in the old way.  On my way there I took in some streets and nice inner city open spaces being used by workers and tourist for lunch time spots.  I spent a while along  Dearbourn which was described to me by Scott from the DoT as an example of good infrastructure in Chicago (whatever the taxi driver said) milling around for 5 mins at lunch time, I only spotted 5 riders at one intersection.  But there were more later in the day when I passed through at schools out time.

Look for bikes!
Two Bikes passing on Dearbourn

So met Sarah & Antonia to visit the Sky Deck.  Really impressive, but that same phenomenon of tourist attractions of everyone (myself included) taking picture after digital picture without actually taking what is laid out.  Obviously the skyline form up there is super, even if the air was getting hazy.  What really impressed upon me though is the dominance of transport infrastructure, the masses of rail tracks and endless highways in all directions.

Chicago from on high
Chicago from on high

After I was persuaded by a flyer to see a million dollars in the Money Museum.  Stopped off for a pint in the Elephant & Castle pub and stroll back over to Millennium Park to take in the Cloud Gate again.  It rained a bit which dampened my spirits along with being tired from a days walking in flip flops so I battled with finding a way to orientate my way back to a bus and the hotel.  How I wish I'd had my bike.

So I missed the Art Institute  which was a shame.  But the parts I liked of the day the most were the bits in between the destinations.

  • Some nice urban spaces.  
  • Nice parks and open spaces.  
  • Walking under the el train tracks.  
  • Catching glimpses of distant sky scrapers through canyon streets.  Spotting scenes from movies.  
  • Over hearing snippets of conversations on the streets of Chicago.  

I didn't see a ball game, or ride a Ferrari or end up in a parade.  But I had a great day, and a nice meal reunited with the P2P gang in the evening. The day off has done us good.  So time to write up some notes and then off on the bikes again this afternoon.

You look like a million bucksChicago from on highUnder the elCloud GateCloud GateUrban space in Chicago

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: Life moves pretty fast, if you don't stop and take a look around once in a while you might just miss it.   *winks*



No comments:

Post a Comment