Thursday 20 June 2013

IN 2 OH

I'm Sorry dear reader.  I've been twenty types of tired this week (and one fresh set of vittoria tyres).  And along with trying to write right after a few compliments for some of my writing, added onto a brief self imposed digital detox, I've fallen well behind.  So I'll attempt to update the journey since Indiana in note form.  Add in a few incongruous pictures, and summarise with some thoughts and meanderings from a week or so cycling.  Feel free to leave now if that's not your cup of tea.  Lovely, lets begin...

North Christian Church, Columbus, IN
P2P in Indiana

Columbus, IN to Cincinnati


  • Leaving Columbus
  • Shit breakfast
  • nice late start
  • mis-calculated distances
  • architectural tour
  • churches on a Sunday morning (with singing)
  • Then some rain
  • riding in the rain
  • humid
  • heat
  • coffee
  • rain
  • Cherry Pie (better than that sweet cream pie stuff the other day)
  • Fresh Tyres thanks to Vittoria
Lunch Break in Sunman, IN
Fix up look sharp


Riding in the rain was for a while sweet relief from the searing heat of the previous day.  And generally we were lucky just to encounter a few showers which passed by the time jackets were on again

We didn't turn down this road
Riding into Cincinatti

The ride into Cincinnati had a few directional issues, as can now be expected in any city, and we weren't in the best part of town. But did get to go out for an Indian, which was very nice indeed.

My song for Cincinnati was The King of Rock 'n' Roll by Prefab Sprout, as Cincinnati has the same amount of syllables as Albuquerque.





Annoying earworm of the day due to the nature of this feeling of endlessly rolling on:


So that was yesterday, this is today, and I must keep rolling on.

Cincinnati to Xenia


Over dinner (A very nice Indian, which possibly made me miss home more, but was worth it) we discussed the possibility of starting the day with a trip into the city and out, or just find the trail and get to Xenia.  At the time I was against an unnecessary navigation into Cincinnati.  I've called myself an urban researcher for twitter purposes, and think that fits well into how I see myself at the moment - along with adventure cyclist.  But even though I know the name of a city doesn't mean that I need to see it in more depth, if it means another 20 miles!

Cincinnati Union Terminal
Cincinnati

We were outside the hotel for a press call at 8.  Full Rapha!  There was some to-ing and fro-ing but we didn't leave til 9-ish and were led out by Jim, a city engineer who gave us a bit of a tour round town.

Apart from some of the stunning buildings and a few lovely parks, i was massively hit by the degree of dereliction and gentrification so close together, but they seemed to be two separate entities.  Cycling down one block you could see the change,pushing the have-nots further away from desirable gentrified neighbourhood.  This is purely on the hoof observation, and it's clear that there is some sort of attempt to pull a once very prosperous city back up to the A game.  But just sits uncomfortably with some of the deprivation that seemed to be on show.

Cincinnati Street
Musical Fountain


Have a nice Day
Riding the trail

Xenia to Columbus, OH

Starting the little Miami Trail
Little Miami Trail

  • Sheeting down with rain
  • Peter on the radio
  • Shopping expedition
  • Catching up the group
  • 30 miles atg average 19m.p.h.
  • Various interesting wildlife, chipmunks, birds of different colours.  A gopher I think.
  • Humid
  • riding into London and meeting the gang at McDonalds.
  • Jumped in the van to get to the park in Columbus and help with Lunch.  
  • Rode through Alton also, not sure if it's named after the Alton in Hants or Alton in Alton Towers, but another town named after home.
  • Tom and I put on a bit of a barbie with lots of veg and steak and proper place mats.  Very fancy.
  • Last bit into Columbus in the van was pretty un-pretty.  More sprawl and drive throughs and wide wide highways full of cars.  Human scale schuman scale!


Portland to Portland
Portland to Portland

Took the time to walk around a bit, can't find the centre.
OK it was the end of business time, but every street seemed packed with cars with one person in.  On top of the endless sprawl on the way in wasn't too encouraging.  Had a beer or two in the bar at the hotel (what a treat.  Then out for dinner round the corner and I snuck off for a late night haircut with James.

Ohio State Capitol
Portland to Portland

Columbus OH to Zanesville

Leaving out the other side of the city was through lovely leafy suburbs, quite different to the drive in before the BBQ.  Another glaring symbol of the disparity between one side of town and another.
Licking county, which we passed through, however at our rest stop I chose a milkshake over an ice cream so there was more sucking than licking. Ahem.
There was some pretty knarley highway for a while.  But then we got onto some nice country roads and were able to just chill and enjoy the ride a little more.
Got into Zanesville checked out the information centre, checked into the motel - Econo lodge - which I always hear in movie trailer guy voice.
The advance party headed off for lunch and took in views of the Y bridge we came into town over.
Personal admin: laundry and bike maintenance.

Take me home
Zanesville, OH

Zanesville to Steubenville

Putting the Ben in Steubenville since 4.30pm
Long day riding, leaving at 7 am in bright sunshine.
We climbed the most we have since Powder River pass we were informed at our meeting this afternoon, this is not net gain however.
I loved it, the sun may have been very hot and there was quite a lot of heavy traffic.  But having the constant ups and downs is probably my favourite thing about bike rides, as in a proper bike ride, there are many things I love about bikes, and riding bikes, but if you're going out oin a bike for the sake of a bike ride the work of the ascent and pay-off of the descent is what makes the whole thing so fun for me. ANd views.  These hills mean we're actually getting vies again.  Sure there's a possibility there were some good ones heading out of Le Crosse, but there was too much cloud and mostly since Wyoming it's been too flat or overcast to have proper views... long views across hills and trees and everything.

Make hay while the sunshines

Which brings me to one of the themes of my thought over the last few days. It's the repeat of conflicts.  I'm really getting excited about getting home.  After so long on the road to get back to London, see family and friends.  To be able to get back out and ride the downs.  To see the sea and find out what I've missed out on, and captivate people with my tales of the ride and slideshow (in case they've neglected to check in here on the odd occasion, shame on them).  But I'm also really worried about getting home. Back to the slog.  Seriously needing to get that job.  Schlepping around selling myself off for an entry level job in an industry I now more by the day that I'm so geared up for.  The hours of re-submitting C.V.s and applications for nothing.  The loss of this weird dysfunctional family.  As much as each of them (yes sorry, you know we all are at some time or another) can be, it'll be so strange not to have this rolling road show every day.  Not having the day planned out in one way or another.

Lookin' Back

Riding across america has become my normality.  I've become very off hand when people ask about the journey now.  I'm a little perplexed when people show such interest and almost admiration for our crazy journey, whenever we stop for coffee, particularly in a  small town high street, rather than a diner or something, everyone says how amazing the journey is .  'Home' seems very distant and abstract.  I like to think I've adapted well to this lifestyle, but how well will I back to Herne Hill?

But before that there is more work to do.  There is increasing interest in our findings around the research side of the trip.  And I'm more invigorated in every city we reach.  Maybe when I get back to London I'll be able to see that with new eyes too.

So yet again, stop worrying about things that wont happen, enjoy the ride, make comprehensive notes and don't forget to have some fun!  Pittsburgh here we come...

3 comments:

  1. My song for Cincinnati was The King of Rock 'n' Roll by Prefab Sprout, as Cincinnati has the same amount of syllables as Albuquerque. - I like! Youl'll be back and can do job apps in the am and cycle in the pm and failing that come to the lido. All will be good xxx El

    ReplyDelete
  2. And we'll have a right old knees up x

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks el. I was specifically thinking of Dan's rendition of that song too x

    ReplyDelete