Thursday 13 June 2013

Indiana and on



We had a late start for a tour of the Farnsworth House.  I opted out of the trip, and not to perpetuate the planner verses architect antipathy that likes to be put about, i didn't really need to sit in a car for four hours to see a one bedroom house now do I? I mean, I can just look at the pictures right :). I had the intention of a ride back into town and to make the most of my last few hours in the city.  However the opportunity of a relaxing morning packing and organising my copious notes and pictures became too much of a lure.

Preparing to leave Chi-town
Preparing to leave Chi-town

It's a new chapter in the P2P Story now.  Change of personell all round.  Mike, Rob & Bron have left for now to make their respective ways back to blighty and join us again there when the time comes.  Peter is back in London for business, Heinz has had to break off for a week or so also, Antonia and Simon have joined from London with fresh legs.  It's probably pretty evident from this, this and this that I had a pretty good break in Chicago.

Lakeshore Trail out of Chicago
Road Closed

The first day out was short in terms of riding.  Mostly on trails which were a little inconsistent in places.  Travelling through a variety of neighbourhoods, but nothing too fancy like.  Encountered some road works and bridge outages to adjust the route a little.  Grant says I was being an apologist for  my new best mate (well i'd like to think so any way with the idea of angling for a job and settling in Chicago for a time) by pointing out that the appalling state of the bike lanes and incomplete routes at time were actually probably outside of the jurisdiction of city transport issues and lie with state or other counties.  So I haven't checked the political boundaries, but it was an interesting point raised in our discussions about plans for the city that the Mayors policies in Chicago are based on those who live in the city, therefore vote for the mayor.  If you don't then you don't deserve so much of a say.  If you wanna vote no, then move yourself back into the city and stop commuting in by car (or however you do). I like that kind of attitude, but I guess it is helpful to have a very powerful position in terms of decision making and enactment as Mayor of Chicago.

Erie Lackawanna Trail
Riding into the storm

Armed with maps provided at the meeting with the ATA we carried on our journey:

  • More incomplete routes.
  • some hairy highways.
  • negotiating some "down at heel" suburbs of South Chicago.
  • bridge out.
  • diversions.
  • parks.
  • Trails.
  • Inauspicious state boundaries.
  • Hello Indiana.
  • Normal route faffing.
  • A little taunting from a pubescent driver "use the sidewalk dummies".
  • Nice trails
  • Coming into the motel with the air heavy with storm brewing
  • The storm arriving just after I've washed for supper


Next day out from Merrillville to Lafayette, IN.  Started with fear of a storm, but quickly dissipated.  For a very long day it was very relaxing really.  And very fast.  just shy of ahundred and ten miles in just shy of 6 and a half hours.  Back on the highways again.  Riding single file in the morning had that weird "I'm surrounded by people but strangely lonely" feeling again for the first time in a few weeks.  But then after a stop (with ice cream sundae) it looked sure not to rain, I put the old boom box back on and had some tunes to lift the mood.  A variety, but this may have been the tops.



Do disco riding down the road with a big stupid smile :)  We had a blissful stop off for lunch by a lake that looked more like a river.  But there you go.  I could have stayed at the bar up the road all day.  But there was still a fair distance to ride.

That's Me
Lunch Stop

I must admit at this time it's another occasion of all the insightful witty things I had to say about the day and wider trip escaping me.   After a successful day I retire to bed and hope to be able to enjoy tomorrow as much as today.  Crossed into EST now, less than 3 weeks from New York and 5 Hours from London!

Indiana Highways

Don't forget to enjoy the ride!


No comments:

Post a Comment