Tuesday 23 April 2013

LHR - PDX

So not an incredibly eventful journey.  But very long.  Left Heathrow at around 12.30.  The usual issues of waving goodbye to the bike at oversize baggage check in, hoping it all comes out as desired at the right place at the right time.

Waiting times were fine and got to Minneapolis a little delayed after an aborted landing attempt, always what you want to hear!  Going through immigration and customs took quite some time with only 2 agents working non US citizens and crew, but my bike seemed to be in good order to get it checked onto the next flight to Portland.  However watching customs checking the box over and plonk it back onto the carousel.

The flight to Portland was over subscribed and cramped.  We were held on the runway in atrocious snow whilst it seems we were being washed and defrosted.  I really hope that the weather clears up by the time we get that far east as it looked like very unpleasant cycling weather indeed.

The weather improved as we headed West.  I may have snoozed a little bit for this flight best i could, so my time perception was a little out of whack, but couldn't hemp thinking that that journey in a plane took quite a long time... in a plane... and there were hills, and mountains along the way.  Fark this country is huge.  It's gonna be quite a ride al-right 

Having gone through immigration in Minneapolis the exit in Portland was quite smooth.  I'd given up on the idea of cycling into down town as I'd loaded my bike box up with a few extra things that would make it a potentially unpleasant experience in an unknown town.  But it was nice to see an area I could have assembled my bike if I'd landed earlier in the day slightly less laden.

Bike Assembly Area

My travel cash card was being declined so had to rely on the credit card which I was hoping to avoid, but proof that it's always good to have back up.  $40 was a fair price to pay to get to my destination safely and comfortably.  Got to the Holiday Inn Express NW Downtown about 8pm and was met by Bob, so nice to have a friendly face, we had a quick sandwich (mmm the full reuben I think it was called) and a beer.  I got back and now am looking at an assembled bike just requiring a bit of tightening before our planned ride out to Astoria in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment