Wednesday 3 April 2013

Training

Well first of all I'm going to blame this un-ending winter for my poor training scheme.  As I've always said I generally am fine on a bike and stick me in the saddle and I can keep pedalling most of the day.  Have been upping the miles bit by bit, but the cold really does not help with motivation to get out there early.

I think that the hardest physical thing on the ride proper is going to be the day after day riding average 72 miles a day or so six days a week.  It's certainly going to take its toll over the first couple of weeks just in terms of fatigue.  This is something that it's not particularly easy to train for, and at this late stage, potentially a bit damaging, so it's just a matter of trying to get a few miles in the legs as often as possible and avoid any injury or illness.

Took a ride to Brighton and back today (in the freeking snow. In APRIL!) and whilst sitting in a nice warm cafe supping a coffee (as I understand all serious amateur cyclists like to do) read about a fella attempting a return Land's End to John O'Groats ride in under 6 days.  Doing distances close to 400 miles a day with 3 hours sleep.  Jaysus, I've said it before and will say it again, there's always someone doing something a little more (a lot more) extreme in one way or another.  Ah well, fair play.  Didn't help motivate me on the ride home today though.

So on the ride today, after an ill advised excessive weekend with friends, family and all kinds of egg related fun I was struggling quite a bit.  I also think I can lay a little blame on the cold, winds and having pannier bags, thinking a little last minute weight training will help improve my strength.  But even being the longest ride I've registered at 105 miles very disappointed at only just maintaining an average speed of 12mph.  12mph is significant as it was the stated average speed required across the ride.  There's me being all cocky about fitness and ability to manage anything thrown at me on the bike, and here I am three weeks or so away from departure and falling below the minimum requirement.  Ah well not much to do now except power through and make sure I can keep up.

Chart of logged training ride distances and average speeds
So there it is laying out bare my progress so far.  Logging most longer (over 45 miles or so) rides distances and average speeds.  Considering these are spread over almost 3 months or so will be interesting to compare to the average rides through the trip.

So.  Early night, and up for more of the same tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment