Friday 17 May 2013

Buffalo to Gillette

Here's the now ubiqitous Movie Digest:



There's a brief explanation on the you tube vid itself as always, but here's a bit more.

I started the day (after holiday inn breakfast) with a shopping run with TVM aka Wilson aka Tom to get supplies for the troops.  Was met by this sign at the iga:

Weekly Specials

And isn't it always?

So we loaded the van and caught up with the group.

I had 15 miles under my belt now, the first bit of cycling was tough on the legs after yesterdays challenge, but caught up with the group and there was a nice bit of cheerful highway banter whilst taking in yet more changing and stunning vistas.

Joining the ride
Clearmont, Wyoming

After about 10 or so miles for me we stopped in Clearmont for 'coffee'.  I chilled and fired off a postcard or two before we headed on our way.

The mood of the group was quite subdued after the exertion and euphoria of such a challenging day yesterday.  Not to mention that we've been tackling some pretty big miles over the last few days, and after the lulling into the ride of some very straight forward rides, the ongoing effort is taking it's toll.  My thighs were screaming at me every up hill.

The ride was generally gently undulating, but it felt like more with all the previous effort.   I was really enjoying myself though.  This was always going to be tough, and when else will I get views like this again (um, tomorrow apparently!).

Winding highway
OK< another highway

After trying to resolve to myself that i'd ease up on the highway pictures, i find I just can't help it.  This is what I'm on this journey for, and still just soaking it up!

But the pace was slow, with head winds and tiring legs.  I stayed to the back, was it to help take the wind, or because I could do no more.  Who knows, but I'll take the helpful slant any time :)

After lunch things changed a little.  I'd been riding alone for a while soaking it all up.  Sarah & Tom caught up on me and I was happy for some chat, but we were all tired and slightly in our own places.  Shortly after Sarah had a stack just behind me.  Pretty sure it wasn't my fault, I herd a yelp and tried to offer comfort as best I could.  Commotion over, the team straggled off along the road towards Gillette.

This is where things got interesting.  Thunder, Lightning, Hail and everything else.

Sunshine and clouds
Stormy Highway

It started with a few excitable lightning bolts, which I tried catching on camera.

I failed.

I'd gotten to the front of the group, as in post-lunch riding my chivalry leaves me and I ride to get home.  As the landscape changed and we came closer to the open cast mines of Gillette (The largest in the USA) the skies got moodier and moodier.  It made me think of Isengard, as the rolling hills earlier in the day put me in mind of Rohan.

Storm Clouds
Storm Clouds over open cast mines

And then it just got silly. Hail stones, flippin' big ones n'all blasting down.  Winds whipping up, tumble weed blasting along.  It got pretty hairy.

Emergency Alert System


I have to admit, I kinda enjoyed it a little bit.  I knew i wasn't too far from town and where I was going, I was in good enough shape to get there.  And once I saw most of the rest of the gang were making their way safely then I could rest at ease.  Shit, it wasn't ideal by any means, but "Adventure is not adventure without adversity."  We've been blessed thus far, so ridiculously.. And long may it continue.  But this little weather induced upset along with minor injuries should be healthy to remind us of the enormity of the task ahead.

Fatigue will pass eventually, we're a strong group and I'm just making sure to enjoy every rotation of the ride.  No matter how it hurts.

But oh what a week!

Right....
So daily updates take over with all the uploading and whatnot.  SO a few thoughts for my future self to think about in future posts for less eventful days, if they come along...
  • Dereliction
  • Say no to meth
  • Sprawl
  • Endless Sprawl
  • So much space
  • Conservative (republican) wyoming
  • Service
  • Contradictions
  • Got a quarter buddy?



No comments:

Post a Comment