Thursday 16 May 2013

Wyoming

If my last post was Big Timber...

Then this was from

Big Timber to Laurel:




I had to join late due to a dodgy tyre.  Hanging around outside the motel listening to Bill Hicks for a while.

Waiting for a tyre

Joined the ride for a 'gentle' 30 mile blast into town.  Rest up and a press call.

Portland to Portland

Bit of shopping, as seen in the video above.  An army marches on it's stomach after all, and Portland to Portland rides on theirs.  It's been established that 'packed lunches' or picnics are far more economical, generally tastier and more convenient.

Big day out of Laurel to Greybull.




It was long, and hot.
I had some excess energy from the day before due to the short distance.  Caned it quite a bit in the morning. Eased off for a bit.  And after lunch was pretty much flat out into Greybull.

And though for some the monotony of highway pictures may be a bit much... i just cant resist them

Highway
Highway 310
Highway 310
Highway

We passed over into Wyoming mid way ish too

Wyoming

We still made it in time for me to get to the attire shop to get me a cowboy hat.  Then a nice convivial meal in  Lisa's and a fine G&T.
Route planning with Desmond after and an early retirement before being eaten alive by mozzies.

Greybull to Tensleep




After a ride in excess of 100 miles in high heat the day before a mere 56 miles was barely worth consideration.
My legs were very weary the first bit out.  But got into the rhythm and was enjoying some sweet soul music and good weather and some tasty clif bars.

Out of Greybull
I Love Clif bars

We stopped for breakfast, unconcerned about the fact that Grant had tore off on his own.
And a hearty breakfast it was too.

Big ol' pamncakes
Going Cowboy

I'm still pretending to be a cowboy.  Well until we got into Tensleep and then there were real cowboys.  'part from them bein' out tendin' to thar cattle and brandin' dem an' all.  But we got in nice and early.  I spent some tome in the Ten Sleep saloon using the phone and internet.  We returend there to eat, and after wandered to the Big Horn Bar as they'd furnished us with free beer tokens in order to celebrate Robert becoming a grandfather.  Not everyone took up the offer of free beer.  But I did, and tasted a very lovely Wyoming Whiskey too, or two.  The locals were entertaining, seemed a little perplexed at our arrival.  Conversation didn't exactly flow smoothly, but was a nice evening.  And off for an early night.

Tensleep to Buffalo, WY


OK,  This is me now.  What a day's ride.  Starting off around 8 am.  On the first bit out I was feeling the whiskey and beer and pizza from the light before (Pizza was the best shout though).

But the views along the scenic highway were really something else.

Scenic Highway 16
Scenic Highway 16

After 10, or maybe more, miles there were a few switchbacks and it started cooling down after a very sweaty ride up.

Scenic Highway
Switchbackaroo

Then just keep on peddling.  There was more snow, and altitude.  Legs were weary but kept on grinding.  Stopping for teh odd picture, and many false peaks.

This Isn't It
Frozen Lake

There was a refuelling stop a couple of miles from teh top of the pass.  Then a proper re-grouping at the top.

Powder River Pass
Powder River Pass

The decent was incredible, but not all the way down.  We'd gone over the highest point of our whole journey, but that doesn't mean to say you don't have to climb here and there again.  The little climbs were totally sapping .  But I had my tunes and just went as slow as i needed to.  I make up for it on all the downhills with my extra weight anyway.  Reaching a max speed of 48.5 mph today.. wooo, coulda broken 50 if it weren't for a slight headwind.

Just an incredible day.  A few moments of real euphoria, after some horrendous struggles on the way up.  On one of the particularly fast descents with the snow capped rocies beyond the forests ahead I though "I don't like it when people say" ____ is better than sex"... but maybe this is"

I think I may retract that statement, but it was a flipping awesome day.  The way down wouldn't have been anything if it weren't for the climb up.  Unlikely to have a day riding like that again any time soon.  But new and different challenges await ahead.



Notes to self:

  • I will try and vary the pictures, highways can get repetitive
  • Mike a chart of the ride stats for me
  • Keep up day to day updates
  • Um, maybe less pictures of myself, and more of others, yeah.
  • Shave


No comments:

Post a Comment